Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) has become the most empirically well-validated psychological treatment with a meditation basis, according to esteemed psychologists and authors Daniel Goleman and Richard Davidson. I have received specific training in MBCT from Zindel Segal, one of the founders of this approach and an author of "The Mindful Way Through Depression," and I've been teaching MBCT since 2011.
By incorporating practices from the highly effective Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn over 30 years ago, with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and the latest in brain science research, MBCT teaches people how to prevent mild states of depression and anxiety from spiraling out of control. MBCT’s effectiveness has been demonstrated in hundreds of research studies and clinical settings, and it has also been used successfully to treat anxiety disorders, bipolar disorders, and other conditions characterized by rumination and chronic worry.
Research has shown that after completion of the 8-week MBCT program, participants' brain function and mood regulation improve in ways which allow them to respond more effectively to distressing situations, emotions and thoughts.
MBCT LIVE ONLINE COURSE - FALL 2020
- An 8-week program designed to break the linkages between negative thoughts and negative moods which lead to downward mood spirals
- This class will meet via Zoom videoconferencing, with HIPAA-compliant encryption
- Class starts Thursday, September 24, and meets from 5:30 to 7:30 pm
- Class meets at this day and time for 8 weeks, and is limited to 8 adults
- Participants are expected to do daily home practices
- Participants will need to order their own copy of The Mindful Way workbook
- Course fee is $320, of which 20% will be donated to the Alameda County Food Bank, to help families in need during the COVID-19 epidemic
- Application pending to offer 12 CE credits for Health Professionals, including psychologists, LCSWs, LMFTs and RNs
The teachings of this course are appropriate for healthcare professionals as well as the general public. Healthcare professionals will be able to incorporate the tools and practices offered in this program in ways beneficial to clients or patients. CE credit is awarded for instructional time only and does not include extended yoga or meditation sessions. For learning objectives for this course, download CE Course flyer.
If you are a health professional interested in receiving CE credit, please see the Continuing Education page.