Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) has become the most empirically well-validated psychological treatment with a meditation basis. I have received specific training in MBCT from Zindel Segal, one of the founders of this approach and an author of "The Mindful Way Through Depression," and I've been offering MBCT groups since 2011.
MBCT developed out of the discovery that even when people recover from depression, the link between negative moods and negative thoughts remains ready to be re-activated, making them vulnerable to downward mood spirals and recurrence of depression. By incorporating practices from the highly effective Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn over 30 years ago, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and the latest in brain science research, MBCT teaches people how to prevent mild states of depression and anxiety from spiraling out of control.
MBCT has been clinically proven to be at least as effective as medication in preventing relapses of depression (without negative side effects!) as well as relieving the severity of symptoms in anxiety disorders or bipolar disorder. I have also used it with good results for clients in recovery from addiction. After just eight weeks of MBCT, participants' brain function and mood regulation improve in ways which allow them to respond more effectively to distressing situations, emotions and thoughts.
NEW ONLINE GROUP FOR SPRING 2020!
- This group will begin as soon as there are at least 5 people enrolled.
- Day and time will be determined by group consensus.
- Group will meet for 8 weeks, and is limited to 10 adults.
- Participants are expected to do daily home practices.
- Participants will need to order their own copy of The Mindful Way workbook.
- Fee for this group only is $320, of which 50% will be donated to the Alameda County Food Bank, to support their efforts to help families in need, during the COVID-19 epidemic.
Groups are typically offered 3 times a year, primarily in my Pleasanton office, occasionally in other locations when there is sufficient interest. A computer and high-speed internet connection are needed for the online group.